In today’s very competitive market place, it’s essential for businesses to market their business in a way that stands out from the rest. They need to be able to captivate their audience’s attention by using the latest technology, such as through augmented reality (AR). It has been used in a variety of sectors designed to heighten the user’s experience. So what is augmented reality? How can it improve your overall marketing efforts, such as enhancing brand and audience engagement? More information on how AR is useful in marketing is provided below.
1. What is Augmented Reality
Augmented reality is somewhat new. It came on the scenes within the past five years or so. Its improvements over the years provide a more enhanced experience for its users.
AR consists of an interactive experience that provides a lifelike, real-world environment whereby various objects are significantly enhanced by using computer-generated technology comprised of a wide variety of modalities. These include auditory, visual, somatosensory, haptic, and olfactory.
Basically, AR is a form of technology designed to enhance or superimpose images that have been generated by the computer based on the user’s view of the real world. In essence, AR provides a composite view with the use of technology.
Unlike virtual reality that adds things to your existing world, augmented reality changes your world. It provides an excellent opportunity for experiential marketing and can assist with brand and audience engagement, which is discussed in greater detail below.
2. What are the Benefits of AR
One of the most significant benefits of augmented reality is its ability to be applied to a wide variety of industries based on the level of knowledge and skill set. However, the benefits of AR are fully maximized and works at its best, when it’s used in situations that display the use of skills and training. It is in those settings that AR has the opportunity to truly work at its best by providing the perfect blend of both virtual reality and reality. As a result, physical devices can be used while reducing cost and risk. More specifically, AR offers the following benefits across a variety of industries:
- It improves training and enhances people’s ability to learn in different settings. AR helps students grasp new concepts, processes and procedures a lot easier. This is better for both the student and the teacher. Additionally, students can go over various procedures repeatedly, as often as they need to until they have a full understanding of multiple concepts.
- It enhances a person’s ability to visualize different types of designs and development projects. For example, the use of computer graphics combined with AR technology allows individuals to create virtual layouts and the details about how a finished product would look. The use of AR technology enhances the visual effects more so than seeing an image on a screen or a flat surface.
- It assists with various business operations in that it can enhance the way employees perform their jobs. They can do this through the use of AR headsets, videos, and other AR-based recognition devices that streamlines employee’s job tasks.
- It improves brand and audience engagement activities.
- It is beneficial across multiple industries.
3. Where is AR being Used for Brand Exposure and Audience Engagement?
AR is being used in a wide variety of settings to enhance a company’s brand and audience engagement. A wide range of leading businesses is currently using it. They are using AR to increase brand and audience engagement through social media and other digital marketing efforts. As a result, they have found that AR Is useful in the marketing space in that it enhances:
– the perceived value by allowing companies to present themselves as innovative industry leaders within their marketplace.
-customer engagement by allowing customers to asses the look and feel of consumer goods before making their final purchasing decision.
-brand awareness by providing a memorable experience that creates a buzz and more exposure that results in enhanced brand recognition; typically through experiential marketing activities.
4. Marketing Focused AR Solutions
Ninety per cent of businesses that generate revenue between $100 million and $1 billion utilize augmented reality in some way or another, while other smaller firms are planning to use this technology in the future. Why? Because many consumers have been bombarded with the different forms of advertisements that they’ve been faced with within one day. As a result, many consumers begin to become numb to a lot of the ad’s they are faced with on and off-line. However, the use of augmented reality has been able to capture their attention in a way that helps brands stand out from all the rest. Here are some ways that AR is useful in marketing and have an improved brand and audience engagement:
Try On Apps
Apps that bring marketing material to life
Calling Apps to get immediate solutions to various problems
Try before you buy apps, and more
AR has changed virtual and in-person experiences through experiential marketing, which has resulted in the furtherance of brand and audience engagement for many businesses.
5. AR Capabilities (Engage, Visualise, Instruct, Interact)
AR has also had a significant impact on its ability to help people engage, visualize, instruct and interact with consumers. This technology is great in a variety of forms including online and offline through experiential marketing.
Experiential marketing is also referred to as the following:
on the ground marketing, and
It is a term used to describes a marketing strategy whereby consumers are directly engaged in various activities. This form of marketing allows customers to have live, hands-on experiences as opposed only to be exposed to marketing messages and advertisements. Experiential Marketing allows consumers to establish a relationship with the brand and maintain a long-term connection. In most cases, experiential marketing is a one-on-one, live, shareable interaction that creates the kind of experience that wins over a company’s target audience for years to come.
Experiential marketing has become a growing trend that focuses on ensuring that customers connect with brands through the creation of emotional experiences and physical interactions.
If you have not implemented AR into your overall marketing activities, then hopefully this article has encouraged you to take the necessary steps to allow this growing technology to boost your global marketing efforts.
To learn more, download our AR for Marketing Starter Guide.